I believe that many a times, landing a job is a matter
of luck. It’s a mixture of various factors of course, but one of the most
important factor, is Luck. I now attend the demos given by various candidates
who are applying for a position in our tutorials. I am kindest to them as
compared to all my other colleagues in terms of asking them intimidating
technical questions. The reason being I was in that same position not very long
ago, and frankly they weren’t this stringent and strict during my demo. That is to say that if I were to give my demo now, my chances of getting selected wouldn’t really
be high. I was interviewed at a time when they immediately needed faculty. I am not
downplaying myself here, for I know I am good at what I do. Nor will I go to
the extent of saying I am better than my colleagues, each of us have our own
strengths. Also I am learning and improving myself as much as I can, each day. But
my chances of getting selected, if I were to be interviewed now, aren’t be so
high. The reasons are many. For example, the department is well staffed right
now, there is no immediate requirement, and the atmosphere in the department
has changed considerably from when I joined. My demo wasn’t really great; I didn't think I'd be selected.But at that time, they needed staff, and
they were willing to give me training. My language was good, I had a good voice (in their opinion alone), I was confident
and my content was good, and so they were willing to give me training. But I
doubt that I would’ve been able to answer all the probing technical questions
that they now ask. I hadn’t answered many even then, but they weren’t very
stringent about all that back then.
So, what I mean to say is that no matter how much we
deny Luck is a factor. It is about being at the right place at the right time.
No comments:
Post a Comment